Next stage of the pezhetairoi is complete: tunics done.
I settled on the colours after reading a Wargames Illustrated that I picked up while on holiday – happened to see an issue all about Alexander the Great so figured it was worth a buy. In one of the articles the author references Rubin Post’s Ancient Warfare vol VI, saying that Ptolemaic soldiers wore 40% red, 18% white, 12% yellow, 12% blue and the remainder in purple, green, grey, and maroon. Seemed like a good place to start even though I’m going for Macedonians rather than Ptolemaic.
All paints are Vallejo Model Color unless stated.
This makes up 40% of the tunics, so 13 of the 32 soldiers in the taxis.
Unfortunately I ended up with a ridiculously complicated recipe, but it’s a lot faster than it looks! It’s based off Meg Maple’s red technique.
Khador Red Base (P3)
Watered-down Skorne Red Shade (P3)
Shade in two steps down to ½ Skorne Red ½ Black Red
Khador Red Base layer again
Highlight twice up with Ember Orange (P3)
Wash with thinned Red Ink (P3) – pull away from the deep recesses
Shade with thinned ⅓ Red Ink ⅔ Black Red
Shade with thinned ¼ Red Ink ¾ Thamar Black (P3)
18%, so 6 of every 32.
Shade down in half steps with Dark Sand, Green Ochre and Beige Brown
½ Dark Sand ½ Ivory
12%, so 4 of 32.
Highlight up with Ivory
Shade with Yellow Snow (Secret Weapon Wash)
12%, 4 tunics.
Lothern Blue (Citadel)
Up with Ivory
Shade with Asurmen Blue (Citadel)
One or two tunics this colour.
Sanguine Base (P3)
Highlight up to Skorne Red (P3)
Final highlight about ½ Khador Red Base (P3) ½ Skorne Red
One or two tunics.
Beaten Purple (P3)
Highlight up with Basic Skintone
One tunic this colour.
Highlight with Flat Flesh
Shade with Thraka Green (Citadel)
One this colour.
Mechanicus Standard Grey (Citadel)
Highlight with Dheneb Stone (Citadel)
And I did lie, they’re not quite done! I’ll go over them in one last pass and paint some extra details. I’m not sure exactly what yet, but some will have white trim around the base of the tunic and the sleeves.
But that’s for later, next up is the linen armour. I’m aiming to get them to a really bright white as I’ve always found that a striking part of a Hellenistic army.